Clara - Bélez Jewish Cemetery.
At first, the J.C.A. did not plan where to bury the dead. For that reason, a cemetery was placed in one of the lowlands of the colony, donated by the Najenson family. In the center of the cemetery, there is a white monument which was erected on the 20th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto uprising in (1943 - 1963) and a metal plate commemorating “the six million brothers and sisters whose lives were sacrificed for the Jewish people and the land of Israel. 1938 – 1948”.
Villa Clara Museum of Regional History (former railroad station).
The museum opened in 1996 in the house of the first physician in town, Dr. Jorge Wolcomich. Two years later, it was moved to the former Railroad Station. There are five rooms: in each one, different subjects related to the Jewish colonization are exhibited, instruments belonging to professionals (e.g, physicians, dentists), cooking elements, sewing and laundry objects and devices used in the railroad, etc.
An old neighbor of Villa Clara, Don Miguel Muchnik, thought of creating a museum and spent a long part of his life collecting objects from neighbors, together with his own, which were to be handed over to the municipality after he passed away. Other objects donated or lent by the majority of the population were included in the collection. They are all important pieces of daily life, representing feelings and memories of colonial times.
However, harvests depended on the weather and frequent locust attacks. Colonia Bélez was designated by the J.C.A. as a training camp. It was one of the locations where settlers were trained to use the plough and oxen, as well as other farming tasks. Only after the immigrants finished their training did they receive a piece of land to work on.
Beith Iacob Synagogue.
In the early times of the town, craftsmen and small store owners built a little synagogue, where the House of Talmudic Studies was also located. It later became the Hebrew School.
The present temple was built between 1911 and 1917. Its brick façade amazes the viewer combined with an entrance painted in light colors and bright walls inside. The Aron Hakodesh (an ark where the Torah scrolls are kept) is lit by faint and bright lighting on a small platform. Inside, there are three Torot (plural of Torah: Pentateuch) brought by the first Russian and Polish immigrants. The temple has two floors; the women were to be seated upstairs, as they were kept apart from the men during religious ceremonies. In the mid 80’s, this old custom was abandoned and, since then, both of them have attended ceremonies together.
The synagogue has been restored and is now perfectly preserved.