Webmaster Guillermo Cuevas © 2008

Home

 





Inmigrants' Hotel - Shelter.
The first Russian Jewish families stayed here until they were transported to the fields allotted to them by the J.C.A, a colonization organization, in the surroundings of Domínguez. This hundred-year old shed, still has wooden floors and a zinc plate structure. The shed and the railroad station were the only structures existing at the time the settlers arrived. There are three different versions explaining the origins of this Shed-Hotel: some say it was a grain warehouse, others claim it was a shed for keeping horses and finally, it is also said that it was a shed for railroad workers.

Regional Museum and Historical Archive of the Colonies.
The Museum was founded on October 19, 1985 in order to preserve the valuable objects and documents of the Jewish agricultural colonies in the area and the unique institutions of this town, and therefore, prevent this invaluable historical heritage from vanishing.
In the Museum, visitors may get a glimpse of the settlers’ lifestyle through their valuable objects, documents and pictures which are displayed in different sections and classified by subject; namely: The early settlement, daily life, religion, education, the hospital and the pharmacy, life in town, including an area with photographs and brief biographies of settlers and descendents who became relevant personalities.
Moreover, the Archive treasures the most thorough and complete records of Jewish immigration and settlement in Argentina. It is also a constant source of information for both local and foreign scholars.

www.museodelascolonias.com.ar

The Synagogue.
Starting in 1908, many families came to Domínguez, mostly former settlers. The religious needs were met by the Synagogue built by the “Kneset Israel” Association, which also housed a Hebrew School. The original temple was built in 1923 and, when it was at its height, there were over 120 people attending the Kabalat Shabat (Welcome to Saturday) every Friday night.
Now, it is opened on Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year) and to hold Yom Kipur (Day of Atonement) services. The wooden front door is painted in light colors, with a Star of David on top and part of an old violet, turquoise and white stained vitreaux. The synagogue, which was recycled in 1999, has cream-colored brick walls on a mud base with an astonishing bright red ridge roof. There are eight broad windows that provide natural daylight. Inside, the original ceiling made of pitch pine wood is preserved, painted in a light lilac color. The wooden benches were made in the workshop of the Cooperativa Agrícola de Villa Domínguez. The original bimah (pulpit) still has two marble steps and a small golden iron balcony.
Dr. Noé Yarcho Hospital.
In 1914 the Sociedad Sanitaria Israelita [Jewish Health Society] was founded with the aim of providing medical attention to the colonies through the “Clara” hospital, in a modest building. The first ward was opened in 1929 and the second one in 1947. In 1982, it was named “Hospital Dr. Yarcho” after the renowned physician. At first, he would see his patients in a humble hospital located 2,000 meters away from the railroad station. He organized a health team of medical assistants, which allowed him to go across almost the whole province healing the ill. He had graduated as a physician in Russia and had majored in England. In order to pay for his studies, he would teach religion to wealthy families, one of them was the Sajaroffs, a family of affluent merchants, whose daughter, María, studied with him and later became his wife. The monument situated at the entrance of the hospital was erected by Israel Hoffman, a sculptor, in memory of Dr. Yarcho.
This town was founded in 1890, when the railroad station named “Gobernador Domínguez” was inaugurated. From the very beginning, it was the main urban center of Colonia Clara, the largest colony in Entre Ríos, as well as the location of one of the major agricultural cooperatives in the country, the “Fondo Comunal Sociedad Cooperativa Agrícola Limitada”. There was also a bank, a linseed oil factory, grain elevators, a library and the first jewish hospital in South America. Villa Domínguez is a small and quiet town which keeps its original layout, with streets distributed diagonally and radiating from a round plaza surrounded by a second belt - “Dr. Yarcho” street- named after the first physician, who arrived in 1892, especially hired by the J.C.A. for the Entre Ríos colonies.

San Gregorio
Carmel
Ingeniero Sajaroff





Villa Clara
Villaguay
Basavilbaso